I find it fascinating that former Idols Kelly Clarkson and Jennifer Hudson have appeared as guest coaches on The Voice before they took on the same role on American Idol. What gives?
To tell the truth, Idol should be embarrassed that they haven’t relied more on their successful and/or popular Idol veterans as a way to draw in more TV viewers. Especially considering that the show was much more popular in its earlier years, you’d think they’d get a clue.
Instead of relying on pop stars to show up on their judges’ panel, wouldn’t it be cool if they focused different episodes on having a former Idol as a guest coach and even guest judge on certain theme nights?
I would totally be interested in a new season if they featured a line-up like this!
- Kelly Clarkson songs – with guest coach Kelly Clarkson
- Rock songs – with guest coach Chris Daughtry
- American standards – with guest coach Melinda Doolittle
- Country songs – with guest coach Carrie Underwood
- R&B songs – with guest coach Fantasia
- Show tunes – with guest coach Jennifer Hudson
Of course, if David were around, “inspirational songs” with guest coach David Archuleta!
I just wonder, now that The Voice is calling on recognized Idols, what exactly is American Idol thinking and why haven’t they done this already?
But what do I know? Maybe Idol did approach Kelly and Jennifer, and they both said No!